UAN stand for universal account number which will be allotted by the EPFO (EMPLOYEE PROVIDENT FUND ORGANISATION). Once the employee joins a new company, the employer will collect the PF account details, verifies them then forwards to the EPFO to generate UAN.
AN individual need to register or activate their UAN number to use various services provided by EPFO portal. The process of activating UAN is very simple indeed a matter of few minutes.
Every employer who have more than 20 employees working for him must be registered with EPFO and every employee working under him in his organization with a basic wage of 15000rs should join the EPF. 12% of the employee’s salary is contributed by the employer and employee each towards the Provident Fund (PF). An employee can gain the following benefits on registering with EPFO
- Download/Print your Updated Passbook anytime
- Can know our pf balance anytime
- Download/ Print your UAN Card
- Update your KYC information
- Registering UAN for an employee
When an employee joins an organization for the first time, in case a UAN has already been assigned to the employee in the previous organization, he has to give the UAN details to the new employer, in order to get a new UAN generated for the employee, the employer has to follow these steps:
- Login to EPF Employer Portal using the Establishment ID and password
- Click on the “Register Individual” tab in the “Member” section
- Enter the employee’s details such as PAN, Aadhaar, bank details, etc.
- Approve all details in the “Approval” section.
- A new UAN is generated by EPFO and the employer can link the PF account with UAN of the employee.
- Know your UAN:
For an individual it is mandatory to know their UAN number to use the services offered by EPFO
We can know our UAN in 2 ways
- From the employer
We can get our UAN generally from the employer
- visiting the unified portal-EPFO
We can recover our lost UAN by visiting the unified portal-EPFO
Step by step procedure to know your UAN number by visiting official EPFO website
- First of all, visit the website UAN-EPFO
- Click on KNOW YOUR UAN
- Ener mobile number and captcha, click on get OTP
- Enter and validate OTP
- Enter the details like name, dob, pan number or Aadhar number or member id
- Click on show my UAN
- Activating UAN
For an individual it is mandatory to know their UAN number, member id, Aadhar or PAN number
Steps to activate your UAN:
- First of all, individual need to visit the website UAN-EPFO
- Now click on UAN activation and enter the following details in the new page
- UAN number, member id, Aadhar, pan number, name, mobile no, email id and captcha
- Once all the details are entered click on get authorization pin
- Now we will receive the PIN on our mobile number that has been registered with the UAN.
- On the next page, we must enter the OTP, check the ‘I Agree’ disclaimer checkbox, and click on ‘Validate OTP and Activate UAN
- That’s it our UAN got activated and we will see a message saying your UAN is activated. The password is sent to your mobile number
- Now we will receive password details on the registered mobile number. Now we can login to the EPFO by using UAN number and password.
- If we want, we can also reset our password from the EPFO portal
- In case if we forgo our password, we can also reset our password